Saturday, April 25, 2020

Wants upon a time


I have always liked gadgets and novelty items but have learnt over the years that they don’t encourage “contentment”. No matter how much I have wanted something, craved it or even lost sleep over it, as soon as I became the possessor of my desired product, I felt a sense of sadness. Although I now had what I wanted, the excitement of wishing and waiting for it to arrive had come to an end. As I looked back, I realised it wasn’t long before the things that I had previously convinced myself that I really needed were stored away out of sight and I was replacing them with other ‘must haves’ that I couldn’t wait to obtain. It was only when I committed the matter to God in prayer, disciplined myself not to watch ‘the gadget show’ or bookmark ‘iwantoneofthose.com’ that I was able to break free of what had become a habit. 

Taking the opening words of Psalm 23 Keller expands the idea that by having the Lord as our Shepherd we have all that we need, we won’t be in want, we won’t be lacking. But it is not about having “stuff” that we think we need but rather is more about having someone in control of our lives who we see as being incomparable to anyone or anything else and regardless of whether we have little or much, whether things are going well for us or we are enduring great hardship.... we are content with what He is doing in our lives. Keller speaks of people he knows who have gone through severe hardships but

They are under God’s care and they know it. They have entrusted themselves to Christ’s control and found contentment. Contentment should be the hallmark of the man or woman who has put his or her affairs in the hands of God” (p28)

It is easy to feel contented with God when things are running smoothly, it is a far greater challenge to be contented with Him when you know He is all powerful but He does not appear to be taking away the thing that is currently causing us pain and distress. I am reminded of Paul’s words in Philippians  where he ‘confessed’ that he sometimes had more than he needed and sometimes far less and yet was content in both:

I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.  I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. (Philippians 4:11-12)

What was his secret? Verse 13 says

I can do all this through him who gives me strength.

That verse is often quoted as a stand alone phrase but it is good to be reminded that the original context concerned Paul finding contentment in ALL circumstances because the Lord, as his shepherd, was providing him with all the strength he needed to cope with everything that he encountered.

Thank you Lord for your love, your strength and your provision. You are watching out for me, you are watching over me and there is nothing that I am going to experience this week that will take you by surprise or is beyond your ability to help me with. I'm content with this arrangement and thank you, in advance, for the strength you are making available to me so that I can continue the walk. 

2 comments:

  1. When I think of what Paul had experienced when he was in Philippi, and that he was now writing from prison where he was in chains, it encourages me to trust God in the difficult times as I acknowledge that my circumstances are not as bad as Paul's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often tell my family - you can do it - especially my grandchildren ranging in age from 13 to 25. Our eldest grandchild in America is going through the process of graduating as a doctor of physio therapy. I feel I need to take my own and of course God's advice to do all things in Christ as I feel overwhelmed sometimes at the moment.

    ReplyDelete